Polaris - Your Review

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
hiro23
Re: Polaris - Your Review

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:50 am

That's what I thought, sitting by your grave makes a lot more sense
metal feeds the beast

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 pm

From the booklet you can read: sitting ...

JensJohansson
Administrator

Re: Tero Tolkki's rewiew!

Post by JensJohansson » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Eugenia wrote:He says that Kotipelto sounds horrible. (I'm studying English Phonetics, BTW) I want to hear him singing in English. I've been listening to Kotipelto's every single word in Polaris and in the other CD's and he has some troubles with some sounds because of his accent. Timo Tolkki has troubles too and it is normal. I have troubles too and english phonetics is a very complicated issue.
As a non-native English speaker myself, I always thought that accents are what they are, and let's not get too neurotic about it etc.

I mean, imagine the entire Stratovarius catalog if Kotipelto had gotten some accent coach and would have sung it all in a heavy but phonetically accurate cockney accent. That's how many people around London speak, and London is arguably the heart of the entire English language.

Tero also has a foreigner's command of the English language, as do I, but of course I forgive him his odd English as I hope other people forgive me mine.

Also I'm not a language nazi.. :heil: :lol:

I like Tero as a person and I think a turn of words such as but then after couple of left-turns, few back, three forward and one right, they confirmed that Stratovarius has a new guitarist Matias Kupiainen and a new album coming ... well that's a poetic and somehow eerily accurate description of the process.

As far as Tero's review 'number', hey, 8/10 is not to scoff at? Maybe the left side of his brain wrote the review and the right side got to come up with the number..

The English issue is interesting. I used to think that English was 'owned' by the US population (300 million rather than the 80 or so in the UK), but the last few years it has dawned on me that it us European "broken English" speakers now outnumber the Americans. English is the lingua franca of the EU. So countinf by sheer numbers, us 500 or so million English maulers are the de facto authority on English, and our odd mix of Finlish/Swenglish/Dinglish/Itinglish and Spinglish etc is actually nowadays the world standard.

English is dead, long live Finglish!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 pm

JensJohansson wrote:English is dead, long live Finglish!
Fak Jeah! :P

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:33 pm

JensJohansson wrote:English is dead, long live Finglish!
No, no, no!
Lenge leve svorsk!! :D

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Don't forget about "chinenglish" which is becoming very popular nowadays :lol:

Viva el Spanglish! :)

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:29 pm

lalodrums2 wrote:Don't forget about "chinenglish" which is becoming very popular nowadays :lol:

Viva el Spanglish! :)
No. Japanenglish is becoming very popular. And I hate it. Same with Deupanisch (Gerjapaneze). I just hate it when some Otaku throws random japanese words at me and expects me to understand it.

Eugenia

Post by Eugenia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:01 pm

lalodrums2 wrote: Viva el Spanglish! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" In My Weakness, Trying to Pretend I'm Strong"

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Anyway I'd like to see a review by Tero for Stratovarius selftitled, maybe he said that the album was Stratovarius 100%.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Actually American English is not proper English either, we have many slang's here in the states that people in London do not understand.
So I guess ours would be Americalish :lol:
metal feeds the beast

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:15 am

hiro23 wrote:Actually American English is not proper English either, we have many slang's here in the states that people in London do not understand.
So I guess ours would be Americalish :lol:
But there are also meny many different dialects and accents and whatever they are in the UK. Cockney for instance is really difficult to understand, also Brummie and Geordie.
Ozzy Osbourne speaks Brummie, he was born in Birmingham.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkkScHRU8G4

It's incredible, isn't it? Accents and dialects and languages in general terms, they are also historical heritage. You know, might sound strange but they are like survivors, they have always been there whereas many other things have disappeared across time.
I do love accents and languages, my favourite one has always been the American one, mainly the southern one. And people are just like languages, we have a bit from everywhere.

UnaInZodiac

Post by UnaInZodiac » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 am

To mention, that most of us who completely easily can say something Englishkind, have never tried to si-ii-ng anything out high and loud...
:square: :square: :square:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:37 am

or high and low

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:15 am

People keep telling me that I have some kind of accent even though I can't hear it, but then again if you've lived with your voice your whole life your not going to hear it as others do are you?
metal feeds the beast

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:48 am

I laughed my ass off in King of Nothing. When I thought Koti sang about losing vampires :D
Not EMpires :lol:

Eugenia

Post by Eugenia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Irinia wrote:I laughed my ass off in King of Nothing. When I thought Koti sang about losing vampires :D
Not EMpires :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I heard Empires, but you weren't the only one who thought about Vampires. ( Will Koti sing the soundtrack of twilight movies? :lol: )

I do sing...(well, scream) a lot of stratosongs per day. Try to pronounce all the words well when you sing father time :P
" In My Weakness, Trying to Pretend I'm Strong"

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:07 pm

I was listening to the Nightwish album angels fall first and in the song Beauty and the Beast there is a line where Tarja says "I will be there to ease up your pain" however to me it sounded as if she said "I will be there to piss on your grave"
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:27 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gg5_mlQOsUQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gg5_mlQOsUQ&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:58 pm

That's my point, I think every band has misheard lyrics, even the one's who sing in so called proper english. :lol:
metal feeds the beast

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:00 pm

I have no problem with the accent.. I mean Hansi Kurch has german accent and you hear few complaining about him

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:01 pm

But I still don't like Kotipeltos vocals on that album. But that is just my opinion.

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:But I still don't like Kotipeltos vocals on that album. But that is just my opinion.
It's not my favorite either, but I'll give it a chance :)

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

And what goes for Polaris I would give it 7 of 10. I think it is one of the weakest Stratovarius albums but I still think it is good. Good all over without really true killers that will become classics. Best songs are "Forever is today", "Falling star" and "Emancipation suite" good work Lauri :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Ragehead:I wasn't debating that you didn't like the vocals, I'm just saying that to blame bad vocals on one's accent is a little stupid in my opinion, that's all, it wasn't directed at you.

if one wants my personal opinion I really can't hear where the bad vocals are but then again I'm only me and I can't speak for others. To me Kotipelto sounds like Kotipelto.
metal feeds the beast

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:But I still don't like Kotipeltos vocals on that album. But that is just my opinion.
The vocals were better on albums like Visions and episode without any doubts. But I wouldn't say bad.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
The vocals were better on albums like Visions and episode without any doubts. But I wouldn't say bad.
But I would.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
But I would.
You have the right to your opinion.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 am

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 am

The main "problem" in Polaris vocals is that there aren't "high" vocals. At least not as high as previous albums. Stratovarius selftitled had similar vocals I think. We all know TK for his high tones, so I think he should sing higher in the next album, but I'd like a mix of both.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 am

RazielSR wrote:The main "problem" in Polaris vocals is that there aren't "high" vocals. At least not as high as previous albums. Stratovarius selftitled had similar vocals I think. We all know TK for his high tones, so I think he should sing higher in the next album, but I'd like a mix of both.
That isn't my problem. I like it when Tolkki doesn't do the high singing all the time. This is what I liked about S/T. As I said, I dunno what was going on in the record studio but his vocals sound really strained and forced to me. Like he didn't really want to sing but had to and as a result of that didn't put very much effort into them. I know I'm propably wrong but this is what they sound like to me.