Polaris position in Stratovarius discography (rank)

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Polaris position on Stratovarius discography

21%
9%
11%
15%
19%
7%
4%
5%
No votes
2%
2%
1%
4%

Total votes: 81

mocobhc
Re: Polaris position in Stratovarius discography (rank)

Post by mocobhc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:20 am

I'm new in here, but I followed the board for a few months and right now I'd like to put in my two cents for the first time. Sorry for TL;DR.

The way this discussion is taking seems pointless to me. Why would you argue about which songs from Polaris "sound like Stratovarius" and which songs don't? The obvious difference between the Polaris ones and the other ones is that Polaris was not written by Tolkki (O RLY). Discussing if the others have written songs that "sound more like their solo work" is just a stating of the obvious. Of course they do! Every band member has his own style of writing a song, and packing a song into the Stratovarius coat can't change its creator. To expect that any of them would be able to write songs without any single difference to the former songs would be a defiance of Tolkki's whole work, same as to the others' creativity. Polaris is, and has to be, different from the other albums, end of story.

If you like it, good for you. If you like it more than any other album before, why not, each to his/her own. If you don't like it, well Tolkki won't return and you have to deal with it, just don't try to dictate what someone else has to prefer. Imo Polaris ain't the best Stratovarius album ever done, but I like it and I'm very much looking forward to what comes next.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:43 am

mocobhc wrote:Sorry for TL;DR.
Is that a new venereal disease? :(
---...---

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:30 pm

mocobhc wrote:If you like it, good for you. If you like it more than any other album before, why not, each to his/her own. If you don't like it, well Tolkki won't return and you have to deal with it, just don't try to dictate what someone else has to prefer. Imo Polaris ain't the best Stratovarius album ever done, but I like it and I'm very much looking forward to what comes next.
Maybe this would put an end to this whole thread :)
|StratoFan Forever|

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Well that wasn't my intention :lol: But I think in a discussion about why you prefer one Stratovarius album over another, the simple "it's not Stratovarius" - argument isn't valid.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:59 pm

Well, does it really matters which is the best Strato album, and which songs do everybody considers to be their style or not? I say fuck them!! Straovarius is a great band no matter what everybody says; complaining about this shits makes me feel angry. That's why I want this to end :?
|StratoFan Forever|

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
adrian9 wrote:well babylonian pretty much said it all!! if you have been listening to strato for 3 years, and you think Polaris is the best album ever ,you are a newby.period! but hey! dont cry big fella, with time that could change!
No, it means you just like Polaris for the reasons I explained above and the reason you say below:
but hey is a matter of taste
Exactly.
This. :)

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 pm

mocobhc wrote:Well that wasn't my intention :lol: But I think in a discussion about why you prefer one Stratovarius album over another, the simple "it's not Stratovarius" - argument isn't valid.
Polaris is composed by totally different persons and it has totally new musical direction, so I think, that there's reason to say, that "it's not Stratovarius".

Btw I think, that we should end this discussion. We all have different opinions and let's accept that. :)

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Babylonian wrote:Polaris is composed by totally different persons and it has totally new musical direction, so I think, that there's reason to say, that "it's not Stratovarius".
Obviously there is, I already stated that. I'm just a bit disappointed with a mere "different=worse" as the only reason for disliking it. You already put down your opinion very well, it just still isn't enough for me. But that's my own problem I guess :lol:

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:02 pm

mocobhc wrote:
Babylonian wrote:Polaris is composed by totally different persons and it has totally new musical direction, so I think, that there's reason to say, that "it's not Stratovarius".
Obiously there is, I already stated that. I'm just a bit disappointed with a mere "different=worse" as the only reason for disliking it, I want it more elaborate :lol:
Besides that, I totally agree with your last sentence :)
I'm not saying, that different means automatically worse and I'm not disliking Polaris, because it's different. Imo Polaris just doesn't sound like Stratovarius. And you wanted elaborating... Songs like Falling Star, King of Nothing, Higher We Go and Somehow Precious doesn't sound like Stratovarius, but they sounds like Kotipelto and Johansson solo material. My point was it, that I don't understand, that some persons says, that those songs sounds like Stratovarius, althought they are different, than old Strato songs. It's same thing, than someone saying, that Iron Maiden's new album sounds like Stratovarius. Of course there should be developing in band's music, but Polaris isn't developing, it's transforming from Stratovarius to Kotipelto or Johansson solo material.

Like I have said before in my posts, that we should end this discussion, because we all have different opinions and we should accept that. You see Polaris as a Stratovarius like album, but I don't and that's normal human behaviour.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I don't see it as a "Stratovarius like" album, you explained why you think it's different and I agreed with you in that. But the point is, Polaris belongs to the Stratovarius discography now and therefore has the right to be compared to the other albums. Well, since the question is how you assess the facts, and it turns into subjectivity / personal taste at that point, I must admit that it was a tall order to elaborate on that, sorry. So yeah, guess you're right that it's better to stop at this point of discussion :)

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 pm

For me Polaris isn't even very different. They have imitated, or rather continued, to compose Stratovarius for me. :) Including Higher We Go and King of Nothing. (Which is not about waging war... it's about...

Tolkki!) :shock:
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:45 pm

So despite the artist’s intentions and explanations about the song being about Sweden, you are still going to make that interpretation?
"
Sent their children to the graves"

Now how on earth could that be about tollki even metaphorically?

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:50 pm

icecab21 wrote:So despite the artist’s intentions and explanations about the song being about Sweden, you are still going to make that interpretation?
"
Sent their children to the graves"

Irony. That's what he tried to do. He thought Revolution Renaissance is an instant classic because he found it, and Stratovarius will be forgotten. :roll:

I don't know if it's about Tolkki. Seems like it though. Anyway I want to think so, and use this King of Nothing is about Tolkki statement every now and then to create some unnecessary buzz. :lol:
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:26 am

i guess if a band is a way for men to get together and have children together than that would work if it was about killing ones own child but the lyric is killing children from others.

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:58 am

Intiaani wrote:For me Polaris isn't even very different. They have imitated, or rather continued, to compose Stratovarius for me. :) Including Higher We Go and King of Nothing. (Which is not about waging war... it's about...

Jens said here, that King of Nothing IS NOT about Tolkki. It's about some kind of ancient Swedish war. And if it would be about Tolkki, then it doesn't respect Stratovarius message. You are right, that they imitated Tolkki very well in Forever is Today and Emancipation Suite, but not in Falling Star, King of Nothing, Higher We Go and Somehow Precious imo. You see Polaris songs Stratovarius like, but I see them Kotipelto and Johansson like and that's normal human behaviour.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 pm

icecab21 wrote:So despite the artist’s intentions and explanations about the song being about Sweden, you are still going to make that interpretation?

"Sent their children to the graves"

Haha, I clearly see you can't get a simple joke :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:10 pm

I don't know if it's about Tolkki. Seems like it though. Anyway I want to think so,
Haha, I clearly see you can't get a simple joke Laughing
Most people don't joke like that. I don't automatically assume someone is joking when they say they think a certain way. Not really anything he said that would point to him not being serious about it. he did not retract his statement and stood by that he wants to believe what he said.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:31 pm

But come on, you know THAT was a joke...There's no way it could be releated to TT :D
|StratoFan Forever|

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:25 pm

well people do think some strange things, never really know

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:03 pm

OK. You just need to know that we all make silly jokes like that :D
|StratoFan Forever|

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:13 pm

Except me.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:08 pm

And me, and all the ones at the "Spam" and "Flames & Chaos" section, which are...Mostly everyone :lol:!
|StratoFan Forever|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 pm

mocobhc wrote:I'm new in here, but I followed the board for a few months and right now I'd like to put in my two cents for the first time. Sorry for TL;DR.

The way this discussion is taking seems pointless to me. Why would you argue about which songs from Polaris "sound like Stratovarius" and which songs don't? The obvious difference between the Polaris ones and the other ones is that Polaris was not written by Tolkki (O RLY). Discussing if the others have written songs that "sound more like their solo work" is just a stating of the obvious. Of course they do! Every band member has his own style of writing a song, and packing a song into the Stratovarius coat can't change its creator. To expect that any of them would be able to write songs without any single difference to the former songs would be a defiance of Tolkki's whole work, same as to the others' creativity. Polaris is, and has to be, different from the other albums, end of story.

If you like it, good for you. If you like it more than any other album before, why not, each to his/her own. If you don't like it, well Tolkki won't return and you have to deal with it, just don't try to dictate what someone else has to prefer. Imo Polaris ain't the best Stratovarius album ever done, but I like it and I'm very much looking forward to what comes next.

So basically. Let me spend three paragraphs telling you why you shouldn't discuss this album.

You'll fit in great here, go see Icecar for your orientation.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Babylonian wrote:
Intiaani wrote:For me Polaris isn't even very different. They have imitated, or rather continued, to compose Stratovarius for me. :) Including Higher We Go and King of Nothing. (Which is not about waging war... it's about...

Jens said here, that King of Nothing IS NOT about Tolkki. It's about some kind of ancient Swedish war. And if it would be about Tolkki, then it doesn't respect Stratovarius message. You are right, that they imitated Tolkki very well in Forever is Today and Emancipation Suite, but not in Falling Star, King of Nothing, Higher We Go and Somehow Precious imo. You see Polaris songs Stratovarius like, but I see them Kotipelto and Johansson like and that's normal human behaviour.
>Emancipation Suite
>Tolkki

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:16 pm

mocobhc wrote:The way this discussion is taking seems pointless to me. Why would you argue about which songs from Polaris "sound like Stratovarius" and which songs don't? The obvious difference between the Polaris ones and the other ones is that Polaris was not written by Tolkki (O RLY). Discussing if the others have written songs that "sound more like their solo work" is just a stating of the obvious. Of course they do! Every band member has his own style of writing a song, and packing a song into the Stratovarius coat can't change its creator. To expect that any of them would be able to write songs without any single difference to the former songs would be a defiance of Tolkki's whole work, same as to the others' creativity. Polaris is, and has to be, different from the other albums, end of story.

You are completely right! :)

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Rebel wrote:So basically. Let me spend three paragraphs telling you why you shouldn't discuss this album.

At the contrary. Imo it's totally interesting to discuss which album you like better, why you do so and which is the best one in your opinion. But I wanted to point out that the fact that Polaris is written by someone else shouldn't be used as an argument to deny its right to be compared - and preferred - to the other albums (not that anyone obviously did).

Btw wanna know why I hesitated to contribute something during the last months? Because I've been following the board (or at least this band related section) for half a year now and STILL can't make out if you guys are making fun or if you're talking seriously. Your last sentence is a good example, I don't have a clue what you want to tell me :lol:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:50 pm

mocobhc wrote:At the contrary. Imo it's totally interesting to discuss which album you like better, why you do so and which is the best one in your opinion. But I wanted to point out that the fact that Polaris is written by someone else shouldn't be used as an argument to deny its right to be compared - and preferred - to the other albums (not that anyone obviously did).
That's what I didn't want this to turn out :). Of course we are all free to state which do we think is their best record, although I don't quitely like this because as I've said there's no reason in comparing about which's the best album...But well, I guess it's OK in that way
|StratoFan Forever|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:08 am

mocobhc wrote:
Rebel wrote:So basically. Let me spend three paragraphs telling you why you shouldn't discuss this album.

At the contrary. Imo it's totally interesting to discuss which album you like better, why you do so and which is the best one in your opinion. But I wanted to point out that the fact that Polaris is written by someone else shouldn't be used as an argument to deny its right to be compared - and preferred - to the other albums (not that anyone obviously did).

Btw wanna know why I hesitated to contribute something during the last months? Because I've been following the board (or at least this band related section) for half a year now and STILL can't make out if you guys are making fun or if you're talking seriously. Your last sentence is a good example, I don't have a clue what you want to tell me :lol:
Icecar is the forum's resident opinion police.

Babylonian

Post by Babylonian » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:29 pm

Rebel wrote:
mocobhc wrote:

Sorry, but why you guys and girls always call him icecar? How difficult it is to write his name right?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Babylonian wrote:
Rebel wrote:
mocobhc wrote:

Sorry, but why you guys and girls always call him icecar? How difficult it is to write his name right?