Some good news and some bad news at the same time

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
DonTopo_FromHell
Re: Some good news and some bad news at the same time

Post by DonTopo_FromHell » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:23 am

Im Very Happy for Jörg, and now is your turn TK, get well son!! :)

Chile Awaits for u guys :D :D :D :D :D
Stratovarius is the Law

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 pm

DonTopo_FromHell wrote:Im Very Happy for Jörg, and now is your turn TK, get well son!! :)

Chile Awaits for u guys :D :D :D :D :D
Ahh! Fresh meat :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:31 am

Glad to see you guys at Spain enjoyed the show. Mine is coming in May, so I hope TK gets well soon :)!
|StratoFan Forever|

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 am

RazielSR wrote:
LauriPorra wrote:
RazielSR wrote: On a negative note, we saw Matias and Lauri inside the venue, when Helloween was playing, and we soon noticed that they weren't (at least Lauri) willing to attend their fans. When they finished to sign two fans' cds we approached them just to take some pictures like always, and I took Lurdi one picture with Matias and Lauri, and when we were asking for one more with me, Lauri followed his path avoiding the situation without even saying bye because he didn't want to take more pictures. So I couldn't take any picture with him, Matias stayed at my side, really surprised for seeing Lauri's reaction and he apologized Lauri by saying he wanted to smoke a cigarette and looked how Matias dissapeared. Matias was cool and I took a picture with him.

I don't understand what happened to Lauri. He has been always a nice guy with the fans and I never thought I could see Lauri behaving like that.
I'm a bit sad about it. We travelled from Valencia just like last year to see them and one year ago he was fantastic with us and we took pictures with all the band. I'm dissapointed with Lauri, seriously. And I'm talking being a great fan of this band I love.
Please accept my apology i was in a hurry at that point, i should have stayed there for more photos. I did stay later that evening on front of the bus for like 20 minutes talking with everybody who was there signing stuff and taking photos. I do try to be as accessible to fans as possible and try to make sure that everybody gets what they want but sometimes when i am busy or in a middle of something else i might seem ignorant to you and i am sorry for that.

If you want to meet me or somebody else from the bands, the best way to do it is to hang around the bus after show. That is the best place for us usually to hang out with fans and i try to do it every day if anybody is around. Yesterday we (Me, Matias and Jens) also went with fans to a local bar to sign stuff, take photos and drink some beer with fans and locals. (and play some classics with jens playing melodica and me playing the noseflute :P )

I hope that if you come next time to see Stratovarius, we can provide a better concert and a better experience to you.

L
Of course I accept your apologies. And yes, the best way is to be around the bus, that's what we use to do after the show and that's how we got always a lot of pictures, including you, who has been always really nice with all the fans. But when Helloween was playing, we decided to go to another part of the venue cause we are not very fans of the band, and it was a coincidence to see you in the left wing of the venue with almost no people and I didn't understand what happened mainly because of that, cause we have never seen anything like that from you, and now it's clear: you were in a hurry.

So, there's no problem. The concert was good and Stratosphere was great. I mean, you all played really well and you had your fantastic solo as always. You all seemed very happy, but I understand that poor Timo did his best and he was really professional singing with that problems. The whole experience was a bit weird because of the TK problem and this situation, but the whole thing. at the end of the day, was good I would say.

Thanks for your explanation and of course I'll go to see you again, and again and again.
When I'm reading this conversation, I feel the need to elaborate on the subject "Bands, fans, and the internet". Why? Well...first of all, I think it's really great when someone from the band actually takes time to respond to what the fans are writing, and we are really privilieged to have that possibility. Which is my main reason for wanting to discuss the subject.

Let's take a look to the past, before the internet existed (yes, there is a time before the internet). The only way to get in touch with the bands you liked was restricted to fan clubs, meets n' greets etc. I.e, you had quite small possibilities to talk to your heroes.

Nowadays (and this is something that I've seen with many bands) the band members stay in touch with their fans through their websites etc. in a way that makes it much easier to communicate with them. Which has led to that it's more or less expected of the band members to be avaliable to the fans. Don't get me wrong, this is of course a good thing, and as I said, I feel really privilieged to be able to have this possibility. But at the same time I think to myself: "Wait a minute? Why the hell do I even imagine that I should communicate with my favourite musicians just like they were my equals, when they are my 'gods'?". I mean, we (well, the majority of us) worship these guys and their music, but at the same time we're expecting that they should be at our service?

I've seen examples where band mambers feel like they need to 'defend' themselves against negative, non-constructive, comments from people that doesn't give a shit (the stuff that happened to Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater comes to mind). Couldn't that to a lot of harm to a band? And what happens if they don't respond to the critique, even if it's not justified?

Maybe someone understands what I want to discuss (I'ts one o'clock in the morning and I don't really know what I just wrote :) ). The summary: Is it good or bad for bands to communicate with their fans in this way?
------------------------------------
A's bullshit spamfilter status: ON

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:04 am

:lol:

Well, I think we all should have been born as turtles, with a big shell and a slow heart-rate. We would all roam really slowly through the cities collecting apples and grass and little bananas to eat, we wouldn't need houses because we'd have our shells and we'd hide inside them whenever we feel like it, there you can have your own mp3 system and your favorite records.

Just imagine!....
JUST IMAGINE! :x
---...---

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 am

Its a good point.
TOO much real time feedback from fans would make anyone neurotic and self-doubting, which is probably not good for the creative process.

I don't understand overzealous interaction with the fans. To spend countless extra hours on top of your hectic schedule meeting flocks of people who have nothing new to offer, and just say "hi, I love your album, you rock, sign this". How much of that could you take before your brain explodes??

And in the end, even if you dedicate your life to interacting with fans, you are at best going to satisfy .01% of them. And the more people you manage to please, the more short, meaningless, and impersonal the interaction will have to be.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:03 am

AGAG wrote::lol:

Well, I think we all should have been born as turtles, with a big shell and a slow heart-rate. We would all roam really slowly through the cities collecting apples and grass and little bananas to eat, we wouldn't need houses because we'd have our shells and we'd hide inside them whenever we feel like it, there you can have your own mp3 system and your favorite records.

Just imagine!....
JUST IMAGINE! :x
I'm not being facetious here but I really like that idea, I mean life would be a lot more easier in some ways, though it would be a pain in the ass if you had to be somewhere real quick :D
metal feeds the beast

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Its a good point.
TOO much real time feedback from fans would make anyone neurotic and self-doubting, which is probably not good for the creative process.

I don't understand overzealous interaction with the fans. To spend countless extra hours on top of your hectic schedule meeting flocks of people who have nothing new to offer, and just say "hi, I love your album, you rock, sign this". How much of that could you take before your brain explodes??

And in the end, even if you dedicate your life to interacting with fans, you are at best going to satisfy .01% of them. And the more people you manage to please, the more short, meaningless, and impersonal the interaction will have to be.
Hey, a SEROUS reply from AAAAAAAAAA?? ;) Nice to see. I think you are right in what you're saying, it's only possible to satisfy a fraction of all the fans, and to what cost? And at some point, I also believe that it can hurt your integrity.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:31 am

Some people are used to being spoiled rotten. Other people know the guys in their favorite bands are only human too. (and want to be treated that way)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 am

DreamT, that is a good point. And I think that it was better when we didn't have information from an album until it was out. But regarding the possibility to talk with the artists. Cmon, that is better. Everybody wants to speak with their favourite band members.

They are human just like you (that is a thing that they want be called when they have some kind of problem), so why they have to be gods when they don't have the need of the fans support?

Bands needs fans, if not, they are condemned to be erased from the map.
I imagine that in the 70's - 80's after the concerts, the band members did the same, they had some time with the fans... Isn't it? The difference today, as you say, it is thay they maybe feel the necessity to answer and explain to the fans when something negative appears. But I ask to me, where is the god then?

I never see this people like gods, I see them like gods playing but not when I talk with them.

We know that there are different artists, there are that never want to be friendly with the fans (but they want their records to be sold) but in this case, when I know for other moments that Lauri is a great guy and always friendly, let me tell you that I was really surprised. If i had knew that he was not friendly, then It wouldn't be a problem. That was the reason, nothing more.

That is part of their work, if you don't have your fanbase happy, you can be sure you are gonna lose a lot of money.

So, in my opinion, internet is better because they can talk with the fans and in situations like this I appreciate it a lot, cause now I now Lauri was in hurry and saturday night I wanted to think like that, but I felt that maybe he was just showing his real face. Now I'm happy to know that Lauri is as friendly as always.

What I don't like is that today there is a lot of talk about the albums and people (me included) are always asking and asking and the surprise is almost over "thanks" to that.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:24 am

At the beginning everything is wonderful. Artists want to be accepted by their fans, and imagine an artist is in the street, people recognise him/her but don't say anything to him/her. Wouldn't it be frustrating?How would the artist feel?
So when they are starting it's mainly the artists who have to thank their fans for just going to their show, even if there are 4 people, but when they become well-known it's us who have to thank them for signing an autograph or taking a pic with us. Funny, isn't it?
Something in between would be perfect. Some people might think that fans ask too much, other that asking for that is very normal.
I think that music and cinema for instance are jobs in which it is not only doing your job and then going back home. If it wasn't for their fans, where would they be? Something that is pleasant at the beginning ends up being irritating.Ok, you can compose music and play an instrument at home for you to listen to it too :)

DreamT

Post by DreamT » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:23 pm

RazielSR wrote:DreamT, that is a good point. And I think that it was better when we didn't have information from an album until it was out. But regarding the possibility to talk with the artists. Cmon, that is better. Everybody wants to speak with their favourite band members.

They are human just like you (that is a thing that they want be called when they have some kind of problem), so why they have to be gods when they don't have the need of the fans support?

Bands needs fans, if not, they are condemned to be erased from the map.
I imagine that in the 70's - 80's after the concerts, the band members did the same, they had some time with the fans... Isn't it? The difference today, as you say, it is thay they maybe feel the necessity to answer and explain to the fans when something negative appears. But I ask to me, where is the god then?

I never see this people like gods, I see them like gods playing but not when I talk with them.

We know that there are different artists, there are that never want to be friendly with the fans (but they want their records to be sold) but in this case, when I know for other moments that Lauri is a great guy and always friendly, let me tell you that I was really surprised. If i had knew that he was not friendly, then It wouldn't be a problem. That was the reason, nothing more.

That is part of their work, if you don't have your fanbase happy, you can be sure you are gonna lose a lot of money.

So, in my opinion, internet is better because they can talk with the fans and in situations like this I appreciate it a lot, cause now I now Lauri was in hurry and saturday night I wanted to think like that, but I felt that maybe he was just showing his real face. Now I'm happy to know that Lauri is as friendly as always.

What I don't like is that today there is a lot of talk about the albums and people (me included) are always asking and asking and the surprise is almost over "thanks" to that.
Well, *I* don't see them as gods when conversating with them, but at some level I want to pay respect to them even when talking to them. The Strato members seem really down-to-earth, and (as I said) I really appreciate their effort. My main concern is that fans often take advantage of this, and starts to talk to the band members as if they (the fans) "know better". This is what happened over at the MP forum.

I know that they don't want to be seen as gods, but I think that it sometimes can be good for them to be "unreachable", just because of the way fans can behave. And as I said, I think it's great what Lauri and c/o are doing. It makes me even more dedicated to the band, knowing that they care for their fans.

"when I know for other moments that Lauri is a great guy and always friendly, let me tell you that I was really surprised" - this hadn't been an issue if you didn't _expect_ Lauri to be friendly, which in turn probably wouldn't have happened if Lauri hadn't been active on this forum.

I'm not saying that anyone does anything wrong here. I'm mainly thinking about the "commitment" that band members make to their fans, and in which ways this is good or bad to them.

I think your points are good, I'm just in "discussion mode":-) . These thougths didn't come now, but they come to mind whenever I see interaction between band members and fans.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 pm

DreamT wrote:I think it's great what Lauri and c/o are doing. It makes me even more dedicated to the band, knowing that they care for their fans.
Then what do you want to know? You see it, it's better if they take care of the fans. If not, they could play songs just for them in their own homes as stated in a previous post.
"when I know for other moments that Lauri is a great guy and always friendly, let me tell you that I was really surprised" - this hadn't been an issue if you didn't _expect_ Lauri to be friendly, which in turn probably wouldn't have happened if Lauri hadn't been active on this forum.
No, I expected that because Lauri has been really nice whith me other times I met the guy. Not because of the forum, it's a different place and a different way.
I'm not saying that anyone does anything wrong here. I'm mainly thinking about the "commitment" that band members make to their fans, and in which ways this is good or bad to them.
I explain you a little short: When they need money/fame they are always able to be friendly with the fans, if they have their accounts plenty of money and their ego plenty of fame, they can dissapear for months or years and you won't know a thing from them. That is called to take advantage from the fans. Sometimes happen, at least that is not the way Stratovarius is and I'm happy for that, cause I see them as my favourite musicians, as a gods playing and as a fantastic persons.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Seems TK is fully recovered or almost. See these videos in Milan:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVHOn5pbvvg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVHOn5pbvvg?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQCm_ewdHuk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQCm_ewdHuk?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8P7HtpnUA4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8P7HtpnUA4?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H0FNnex0l7M?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H0FNnex0l7M?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Balu

Post by Balu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:05 pm

RazielSR wrote:Seems TK is fully recovered or almost. See these videos in Milan:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVHOn5pbvvg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVHOn5pbvvg?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQCm_ewdHuk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rQCm_ewdHuk?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8P7HtpnUA4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8P7HtpnUA4?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H0FNnex0l7M?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H0FNnex0l7M?fs=1&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
What the fuck? The vids say this was on the 21th, today is two days before this?

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Balu wrote: What the fuck? The vids say this was on the 21th, today is two days before this?
:lol: :lol: :lol: True, that was on 18th I think.

thefreeone

Post by thefreeone » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:50 pm

RazielSR wrote:
Balu wrote: What the fuck? The vids say this was on the 21th, today is two days before this?
those vid are form last year i think!

look at the date 21 01 2010

thefreeone

Post by thefreeone » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:54 pm

thefreeone wrote:
RazielSR wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTW2iY8oviI

here's the real one

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:56 pm

SHIT!

Sorry for my confusion. . I thought it was too soon to see Timo that well, but...I ordered by uploaded date the videos in youtube and that ones appeared at first place...Maybe I didn't choose the correct order, dunno.

Now I understand that he is not ok yet.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:03 pm

Wow, I just came back today and read this :shock:

Well, it's good to know that TK is almost fully recovered :D

About Jörg, I think we all knew he would do all right. It's so great to know the band is almost at 100% again to kick some ass. I'll be wating for them and Helloween in Spring here in México.

Balu

Post by Balu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm

RazielSR wrote:SHIT!

Sorry for my confusion. . I thought it was too soon to see Timo that well, but...I ordered by uploaded date the videos in youtube and that ones appeared at first place...Maybe I didn't choose the correct order, dunno.

Meh, he does sound better.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 pm

Tk is slowly but surely getting better, give the man at least a few more weeks, then I'm sure he'll be back to 100%
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:10 pm

Balu wrote:
RazielSR wrote:SHIT!

Meh, he does sound better.
Would you stop it?! He's still recovering, for Christ sake :lol: 8)
|StratoFan Forever|

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:39 am

thefreeone wrote:
thefreeone wrote:
RazielSR wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTW2iY8oviI

here's the real one
Oh my. Why doesn't he just wait until he's fully recovered. This sounds like it's really painful for him. And it sounds bad. :s

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:26 am

He's doing it for the fans, unfortunately they will be more harsh on him if he doesn't do the gig then if he simply was to take a few weeks off.

Cause you know that if he doesn't show to some gigs that some idiots are going to say what a selfish bastard he is.

Bruce Dickinson had a similar incident happen to him during the world slavery tour in 85.
metal feeds the beast

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm

I know he does it for the fans. And it shows a lot of dedication.

But fans have to understand that he is ruining his voice like this. And I think real fans wouldn't want that.

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:00 pm

It's great to see, that Jörg will be back. :) I also hope, that TK will get well soon. I think, that he should rest to recover fully.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:It's great to see, that Jörg will be back. :) I also hope, that TK will get well soon. I think, that he should rest to recover fully.
Have you ever climbed a tree near your house just to see a bird's nest?
---...---

TwilightEagle

Post by TwilightEagle » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:19 pm

AGAG wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:It's great to see, that Jörg will be back. :) I also hope, that TK will get well soon. I think, that he should rest to recover fully.
What do you mean?

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:24 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:
AGAG wrote:
What do you mean?
Of course not but have you ever made cardboard wings and tried to fly from your house's rooftop? that sort of things speaks a lot about your personal view points on life :)
---...---