Comrade Obama snubs Frau Merkel

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
miditek
Comrade Obama snubs Frau Merkel

Post by miditek » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:07 am

Comrade Obama snubs Frau Merkel + 80 million fellow Krauts- cancels plans to attend Berlin Wall 20th anniversary ceremonies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/1 ... 23867.html

Well, he certainly duped our Teutonic friends during the campaign- and they couldn't even vote for him. The poor thing has been pouting for twenty years about his beloved barrier coming down and doesn't want to be reminded of one of the final nails in the coffin of pan-European Communism.

If anything, Reagan, Thatcher, and John Paul II should have been awarded Nobels for helping to engineer the fall of the wall, and without having to fire a shot! ;)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

icecab21

Re: Comrade Obama snubs Frau Merkel

Post by icecab21 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:04 am

Schedule conflict

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:53 pm

He's in Tokyo right now :roll: :roll:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:47 am

I like how this wasn't even in the news in Germany. I was there over the weekend and saw not a single headline about it. The death of a football player (quite tragic, actually) was given a lot more importance.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 am

NeonVomit wrote:I like how this wasn't even in the news in Germany. I was there over the weekend and saw not a single headline about it. The death of a football player (quite tragic, actually) was given a lot more importance.
Not even a blip on the radar. ;)

Obama Cancels Plans to Attend Berlin Wall Anniversary
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 32,00.html
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 am

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:I like how this wasn't even in the news in Germany. I was there over the weekend and saw not a single headline about it. The death of a football player (quite tragic, actually) was given a lot more importance.
Not even a blip on the radar. ;)

Obama Cancels Plans to Attend Berlin Wall Anniversary
http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 32,00.html
Yeah, but more people were concerned with the death of Robert Enke. You looked for this news specifically, whereas it appeared on not a single front page. Which sort of shows how bothered people were by the matter. In my experience it generally takes a lot to annoy Germans (maybe that's a Bavarian thing, I was in Munich). Actually being somewhere helps put perspective on things.

I guess Obama being in Tokyo was enough of a reason for people there to be less fussed about it than you clearly are, it never came up in the numerous conversations I had there, including a fair few about geopolitical issues.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:34 am

I agree with you NV. Let me give you another example (neither American nor German): the fact that Obama did not attend the ceremony was barely mentioned in Argentine newspapers, while Enke's suicide received a fairly extensive coverage.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:20 am

less fussed about it than you clearly are
Not at all- the left doesn't like being reminded of one of its greatest defeats in the past fifty years. Obama could shit on a plate and there will always be some idiot ready to eat it and pass it off as gourmet.

Perhaps you'd be less gleeful about this if Honecker were still in power and Stasi were still kicking people about. ;)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:27 am

miditek wrote:Not at all- the left doesn't like being reminded of one of its greatest defeats in the past fifty years.
You have this tendency to magnify events, ideas or situations that bother you to the point where you make it sound like those whose political views are opposite to yours are always angry when in fact, you are the only one who's pissed off. Not everything is a conspiracy; not everyone is part of a secret plot.
By the way, there is no person in this forum whose political, social, and religious views are more opposed to mine than yours, so congratulations "comrade". :D (ha, just needed to point that out because it's faster than explaining my views :D).
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 am

Stealth wrote:so congratulations "comrade". :D (ha, just needed to point that out because it's faster than explaining my views :D).
"Tovarisch" might be a better fit, or a little more specific, at least. Pass the Stoli. <clink> ;)
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Obama could shit on a plate and there will always be some idiot ready to eat it and pass it off as gourmet.
Oh, is Obama a famous musician now, too. ??? :D

A pizza guy delivered a pizza to the White House. Obama gave him $20 and told him to keep the change. The guy replied, I think you already have! ;)

Some people are already asking where is the big change Obama was referring to. I am not complaining, but many people who voted for him are kinda regretful now.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:18 pm

These news are from October,and the celebrations took place one week ago, so it's not that strange it didn't appear on this weekends headlines. All that Ehnke-enthiusasm did really piss me off, though.
Spamming is serious business!

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:51 am

Oh, is Obama a famous musician now, too

Well, it does seem like Clinton played the sax, and I have no idea if Obama has had an formal musical training or plays any sort of instrument.

At any rate, twenty-years after the wall fell, Obama is a no-show, and then Germany yawns.

Twenty years after one of the greatest victories of the Cold War, and now, and the suicide of one person gets more press,from ungrateful Krauts and Obama gets a pass from our "free" press.

&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:22 am

browneyedgirl wrote: Some people are already asking where is the big change Obama was referring to. I am not complaining, but many people who voted for him are kinda regretful now.
I would like to ask those people what change they were expecting...?
They don't even know!

The USA is the most wealthy country in the history of the Earth! We're secure, we're safe, there are adequate opportunities for everyone. Why this obsession with change? If you can't leverage all the resources we have to accomplish your goals, NO president can help you!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:25 am

miditek wrote:the suicide of one person gets more press,from ungrateful Krauts
How exactly are the Germans "ungrateful" for not making a big fuss about Obama's conflicting schedule?

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:54 pm

miditek wrote: Twenty years after one of the greatest victories of the Cold War, and now, and the suicide of one person gets more press,from ungrateful Krauts and Obama gets a pass from our "free" press.
I don't know whether you were checking out german press, I was, and I noticed, that in comparison with the Ehnke-case, there were much more reports in the newspaper and much more documentaries on TV about the fall of the wall. Even the left expressed their happiness because of the end of stalinism, but I know, it's just a part of the conspiracy.
I'm quite fed up with all that Obama enthusiasm caused by the media, and quite content with the german press not making a fuss about Obamas scheduling plans, just like Mormegil said.
Spamming is serious business!